We utilize a number of data strategies to ensure your mail piece is dynamic and effective.
Address Validation & Correction
A company’s client mailing list is the most valuable asset they have, and keeping your database up to date and clean is critical. You can reduce costs by lowering the number of undeliverable pieces and increase response rate on targeted customer campaigns.
All mailing lists are processed by an Address Validation and Correction program. This involves comparing each address using a Canada Post database that is updated monthly. When an error is detected, like the misspelling of a street name or use of an incorrect digit in a postal code, the program will make the necessary correction to validate the address.
Canada Post requires that all mailings over 5,000 pieces are at least 95% correctly addressed. In the interest of accuracy, all mailing lists received at directworx are passed through this program.
In January 2011 Canada Post enhanced their software to provide more precise address accuracy and that means more deliverable mail. Any addresses which cannot be corrected with this program can be returned for investigation and either corrected or deleted.
Data Validation is the simplest way to correct your data, minimize undeliverables and maximize your return.
Duplicate Elimination & Record Suppression
Our duplication elimination process ensures you do not send multiple copies of your campaign to end users. We can identify and remove duplicate records based on various criteria:
- One per Person per Address
- One per Family (last name) per Address
- One per Company
- One per Address
We can even set priorities on duplicates, to keep whichever record you wish. For example, we can keep a Donor record over a Patient record, a Female record over a Male record, or whichever record has the most complete information.
Our software can also remove records that do not wish to be mailed. If you maintain an internal Do Not Mail list, or wish to utilize the CMA’s Do Not Mail Service, we can quickly identify and remove these records.
The result: a mailing list with removed redundancies and increased recipient satisfaction.
National Change of Address
Mailing to a correct address is important, but unless the resident at that address is your contact, your effort can be wasted. Are you confident that your mailing list is up to date? Consider:
- Are your customers, subscribers, or donors still living where they were when you added them to your mailing list?
- Statistics show that 20% of the Canadian population and businesses move each year; are you positive that you are still reaching your target?
- With the cost of creative, print, mailing and postage can you afford to have a portion of your mail recycled by an uninterested or incorrect recipient?
- Do you know how much your Return On Investment is affected by undeliverable mail?
We have the solution.
The use of Canada Post’s National Change of Address (or “NCOA”) program will reduce the number of undeliverable mailing pieces. Approximately 1.2 million households file a change of address notification with Canada Post each year. NCOA contains a database with over 10 million movers—and 6 years of history of permanent address changes. directworx can provide the following results:
- A list of people in your database who have moved in the past 6 years, and provide a correct and up-to-date address (Note: this applies to recipients who have filled out a CPC Address Forwarding card).
- Identification of people who have moved but did not leave behind a forwarding address (nixies), giving you the opportunity to trace or update their address.
For the next mailing, after the NCOA, ask for a “Return postage guaranteed“ postage indicia on your envelope. Canada Post will return undeliverable mail to you. This will catch those people who have moved, but did not use the CPC Address Forwarding program and haven’t provided a new address.
NCOA ensures your list stays current, and will have a positive effect on your direct marketing campaign.
Geocoding is the process of recording a locational identifier as part of a data record.
Some examples of businesses who use Geocoding:
- Direct marketing companies can target marketing campaigns and analyze response rates
- Insurance companies can better understand risk; costs/competitive prices vary by location
- Retail companies analyze customer demographics, and tailor specific advertising to a geographical area
- Real Estate companies to map their properties, analyze customer demographics and forecast trends and long term planning within the market activity
- Health care professionals to better allocate resources based on demographics
- Utility companies to map their assets
- Telecommunication companies to plot signal coverage
Geographic location is a significant marketing element for many businesses. Contact us to learn more.
Take Your Data Further
Our Proper Casing software can identify and apply appropriate casing rules to your data. No need to settle for an UPPERCASE or mixed case address. Every component of an address is converted to the proper case by using a database of street names and acronyms.
Customize your data by identifying the gender of your database records. We can specify how conservatively or aggressively to genderize, and determine whether your database has a dominant male or female population. Our genderization software makes both formal and informal salutations. When it encounters neutral names (Drew, Chris, Robin), we can assign a neutral salutation or a generic option like “Dear Valued Customer”.
We can correctly handle fields with two names, like “Wally Ballou trustee for Mortimer Snerd” with control over what connecting phrases (like “trustee for”) to recognize and what to do with the second name (split, move, discard, or make a second record). If some records in a file are Full Name “John Smith” while others are Inverse “Smith John,” we can split them properly. Split Full Name, Inverse Name, Government Inverse, First Name, and Last Name fields into a maximum of five components per name.